Hebrews 12:1-2a

"Let us lay aside every weight,
and the sin which so easily ensnares us,
and let us run with Endurance
the race that is set before us,
looking unto Jesus,
the author and finisher of our faith."
Hebrews 12:1-2a

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Other things - Day 187

There really isn't anything healthwise to report re: Jim - he is better, the heart monitor will be returned by week's end, the only time he is short of breath is when he has over-exerted himself.
But there are other things, so I thought I'd share them.

We determined we were going to have our annual Christmas Open House this year no matter what. It is set now ... we have most invitations sent out and are working on decorating in and out. It is coming along much better in than out, because the weather is not very cooperative. We do have our outdoor nativity up, however.

We enjoy ministering to the people of Wilton Baptist. The 60.1-mile trip to and from seems to take less time the longer we serve there. We don't know how long we will remain there. Earlier this year after Jim had had his surgery, we talked about being willing to go wherever the Lord sent us. He sent us to United Federated in Lisbon for three weeks in August and then returned us to Wilton Baptist, where we have been since Aug. 30.

The church is searching for a fulltime bi-vocational pastor. Jim was called to be its interim pastor Sept. 27. For the past 3 to 4 weeks, we have considered applying for the open position.

It wasn't until today, Jim felt a tugging from the Lord.  Of the several devotionals he reads, it was from Oswald Chambers'  "My Utmost for His Highest" that he thought God had given him an answer.
I have included it here in its entirety:


"By Myself have I sworn, with the Lord, for because thou has done this thing ... that in blessing I will bless thee..." Genesis 22:15-19
Abraham had reached the place where he is in touch with the very nature of God, he understands now the Reality of God. 
"My goal is God Himself ...
At any cost, dear Lord, by any road." 
"At any cost, by any road" means nothing self-chosen in the way God brings us to the goal.
There is no possibility of questioning when God speaks if He speaks to His own nature in me; prompt obedience is the only result. When Jesus says - "Come," I simply come; when He says - "Let go," I let go; when He says-"Trust in God in this matter," I do trust. The whole working out is the evidence that the nature of God is in me.
God's revelation of Himself to me is determined by my character, not by God's character.
"'Tis because I am mean,
Thy ways so oft look mean to me."
By the discipline of obedience I get to the place where Abraham was and I see Who God is. I never have a real God until I have come face to face with Him in Jesus Christ, then I know that "in all the world, my God, there is none but Thee, there is not but Thee."
The promises of God are of no value to us until by obedience we understand the nature of God. We read some things in the Bible three hundred and sixty-five times and they mean nothing to us, then all of a sudden we see what God means, because in some particular we have obeyed God, and instantly His nature is opened up. "All the promises of God in Him are yea, and in Him Amen." The "yea" must be born of obedience; when by the obedience of our lives we say "Amen" to a promise, then that promise is ours.
 We spent the afternoon in Wilton. Today we learned the pastor search committee has invited a man to come in view of a call. He will be preaching Dec. 6. Today Jim shared he was interested in the position.

So it is up to God, as it always is. His will be done.

We covet your prayers for His will, not anyone's wishes, but simply His will.


No comments:

Post a Comment